Thursday, December 20, 2007
Friday, December 14, 2007
01. Change bulbs from Incandescent to Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL) TODAY
02. Optimum use of ENERGY; Change to Solar Heater today & say NO to Geysers
03. Save ELECTRICITY, WATER and FUEL
04. Turn-off Computers, those extra bulbs, other electronic gadgets when not in use
05. Implement Rain water harvesting in your homes
06. Walk more; Drive less, Use public transport, Buy fuel-efficient Cars, Go car pool
07. Use RECYCLED paper
08. "Say NO to PLASTIC"
09. Aforestation; Plant more Trees
10. Educate others on GLOBAL WARMING; create awareness in your community
Please send this information to every one you know.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
- City generates 2200 tons of garbage per day with no disposable mechanism
- Outdated building laws that does not address the current concern
- Construction industry taking advantage of outdated building laws
- Shortage of electricity and water
- Underground water tables drying up
- Water contamination due to poor drainage system
- Lesser green space with no check on the encroachments
- Lack of will to make hard decisions by any government
Bangalore is at a stage where all the issues are at an 'important & urgent' state; any action taken has to be a holistic approach with a long term solution. Cribbing about the problems is not good enough. We need to make it heard loud and clear and bring in suggestion and contribute to make things better for the city.
Some of the immediate actionables can be:
- Reward & penalization program for the road contractors who take up the road projects
- Stop commercialization of lakes and encroachment of forest and parks
- Relook at the allotment of land for trusts, societies and commercial buildings in the residential areas
- Revisit construction laws making it more environmental friendly like compulsory rain water harvesting and use of solar energy for all building plans both residential & commercial
- Stringent implementation of environmental laws for all large scale constructions
- Deployment of small size buses to increase road coverage of public transport system
- Change over to CNG and fix a deadline for a 100% implementation
As the citizens of Bangalore let’s voice our opinion and do what ever it takes to make this city better.
- The Bangalorean
Sunday, December 9, 2007
Should I say from start to finish the movie had no GOAL, a long drag of some 40+ year old men with large bellies trying to make the best use of their legs, Bip's seductive one-liners for John and every scene in the movie trying to overwhelm the viewer emotionally with no real football story or any story for that matter.
An atrocious star cast, did I say Arshad Warsi was there in the movie too, seemed like he was for ever wondering why he was in the movie. Our good old Boman Irani ‘Mamu’ in a full blown belly searching for words before every dialog making him look character less.
The anthem that was sung at the beginning of every match they played can put my 10 year old nephew to shame; it was ridiculous stupid with no meaning and purpose what so ever. The 'billu rani' song was I guess a last minute addition to compensate for the less glamorous look of Bip’s.
If ever we had had the worst movie award in the filmfare, ‘GOAL’ will not only be nominated in all categories but will also win all those awards.
Like ‘No Smoking’, ‘GOAL’ too went up in smoke for the sexy J & B with the HOT JISM. Its time the 'buy one get one free' pair realized that talent is not = to skin.
Friday, December 7, 2007
Recent facts list: www.ibef.org/download/IndiaFacts.pdf
Some well know facts:
India is the world's largest, oldest, continuous civilization.
India is the world's largest democracy.
India never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.
Varanasi, also known as Benares, was called "the ancient city" when Lord Buddha visited it in 500 B.C.E, and is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today.
India invented the Number System. Aryabhatta invented zero.
The World's first university was established in Takshashila in 700BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software- a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987.
Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in our civilization.
Although modern images of India often show poverty and lack of development, India was the richest country on earth until the time of British invasion in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus was attracted by India's wealth.
The art of Navigation was bornin the river Sindhu 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit 'Nou'.
Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century) 365.258756484 days.
The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians.
Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India. Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th century.
The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10**53(10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10**12(10 to the power of 12).
IEEE has proved what has been a century old suspicion in the world scientific community that the pioneer of wireless communication was Prof. Jagdish Bose and not Marconi.
The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.
According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150 CE a beautiful lake called Sudarshana was constructed on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya's time.
Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India.
Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India.
Over 125 surgical equipment were used. Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.
When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization).
The four religons born in India, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, are followed by 25% of the world's population.
The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.
India is one of the few countries in the World, which gained independence without violence.
India has the second largest pool of Scientists and Engineers in the World.
India is the largest English speaking nation in the world.
India is the only country other than US and Japan, to have built a super computer indigenously.
Following facts were published in a German Magazine which deals with world history.
- 38% of Doctors in America are Indians
- 12% of Scientists in America are Indians
- 36% of NASA employees are Indians
- 34% of Microsoft employees are Indians
- 28% of IBM employees are Indians
- 17% of Intel employees are Indians
- 13% of Xerox employees are Indians
Famous Quotes on India (by non-Indians)
Albert Einstein said: We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.
Mark Twain said: India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.
French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.
Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA said: India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border.
- Source Internet