Seldom do we realize that early intervention is the first step towards addressing most of the medical conditions or any disabilities, and if the medical condition or disability is not life threatening, our willingness to seek medical interventions becomes rarer.
Every child in this world deserves to live normally, and that can happen by creating awareness about the causes of hearing loss and the medical and technological option to address the disability in the most effective manner. Early diagnosis, specifically for the new born can help the child to lead a normal life, OAE (Otoacoustic Emission Test) or BERA (Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry) is very important for every new born.
Global Hearing Ambassador Brett Lee expresses that temporary hearing loss of
his son indeed triggered his calling to lend his voice and name for the cause,
and to work to create awareness globally so that more and more children get
early medical interventions.
Infections (Mumps, Rubella, Meningitis, Measles, ear infection), Birth defects, Malnutrition, Lack of effective & accessible medical care for pregnant women in countries like India result in a very high rate of hearing loss among children. A staggering 60% of the hearing loss is preventable and 31% of the hearing loss in children is due to infections.
The Cochlear™ range of hearing implants has helped over 250,000 people globally, and making a child live a normal life is definitely a Team Work that has involved Cochlear™, Surgeons, Parents and the extended family.
Breaking Myths & Key Highlights:
- Cochlear™ implant does not affect the brain, it is a simple procedure
- Cochlear™ implants do not need any replacement (unless in case of infection which is a very rare situation)
- The child can undergo Cochlear™ implantation as early as 2 years and the earlier the better to ensure sounds mean something for a child
- People with Cochlear™ implant will not suffer from side effects or electromagnetic waves due to implantation
- Hearing tests at different stages of life is as important as an eye test or any other medical test
- If the Cochlear™ implant is made at an older age words are just mere sound, hence early implant is a must
- Most of the time awareness and not the cost of the implant is the issue, after all no cost is high if it ensures a normal life for a child
- Even with hearing aids the children with hearing disability will get all Government benefits he/she is entitled to
|Shobith leads normal life, after Cochlear implant Photo by Vijay|
In a country that loves Cricket, no child should be deprived of enjoying the #SoundsOfCricket to the fullest.
With Cochlear™, Hear Now. And Always.
- Kavitha Reddy
- Kavitha Reddy